Saturday, December 6, 2008

12 Miles and Feeling Good (Sort Of)!

My Fundraising Webpage: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/pfchangs09/ayates

Today was my first 12 mile run!! I'm so proud of myself, and I can't believe I made it. After a pretty draining 10 mile run two weeks ago, I was a little nervous about how this one would go, but it really wasn't bad. The coaches had send out an email saying that they would be there earlier than usual in case anyone wanted to get a head start. Since Erin was planning to get there early as well, Andrea and I decided to meet at 7:15am and start our run as soon as possible.

I was a little disappointed to see that there was no bathroom anywhere near where we were running, which meant no pit stops and no place to change after we were done. Fortunately I didn't have to use the rest room during the run, and Andrea and I made the decision to locate a gas station or similar establishment after finishing up, where we could get out of our soon-to-be wet and freezing clothes.

The run itself went really well, and we spent the whole time talking, as usual. It was insanely cold out, to the point that the water in my bottle started to freeze and my thighs got so numb that I couldn't feel it when I touched them. Since Andrea and I started earlier than most people, we were at the head of the pack for a change. It felt good to know that we would be finishing earlier than usual, and we kept ourselves busy by breaking the run into smaller segments (only four miles until the first water stop, only two miles until we pass it again, etc.). Every now and then we'd see Coach Jim, who would tease us for cheating somewhere along the way, since we were so far in front of everyone else.

Before I knew it - well, about 2 hours and 20 minutes later, but who's counting? - the run was over, and we gratefully gulped down non-frozen water at home base. Andrea accidentally poured some on me when I was stretching on the ground, but I was already so cold and covered in sweat that I barely noticed! We also munched on chocolate peanut butter brownies and piping hot pizza slices, even though it was only 10:00am. Hey, I had just run 12 miles - I deserved a reward!

After our sketchy changing session in the bathroom of a local McDonald's, Andrea drove me home so that I could shower and quickly eat a bit more food before heading over to Border's. I had arranged to wrap gifts for 6 hours in return for donations to the cause, although I actually wound up staying for 7 hours. Wendy, one of my teammates, was there helping me for about 5 of those hours, and I was very grateful. Having her there made the time pass more quickly, and she was also more vocal about attracting customers. Plus, she's a way better gift wrapper than I am, and she gave me some pointers. I came away with a new little chunk of money for my fundraising efforts, and I got to spend most of the time sitting down, so I can't complain. Thanks to the Border's employees and the kind people who made donations today!!

A couple of weeks ago, Dave and I baby-sat for five children all under the age of five as a fund raiser. While they were adorable and their parents were very generous, I don't think I could have done that today after running 12 miles! I have another Border's fund raiser next weekend, and my father said that he'd pass my fund raising information down to his friends and church groups, so I'm hoping to continue my efforts for another couple of weeks. Every little bit helps!

Next week is a down week for mileage (only 6), so I might do the Jingle All the Way 10K instead of going to training - I haven't decided yet. In two weeks, we have to run the full 13 miles, so then I'll really be able to say that I am officially prepared for a half marathon! Wish me luck!!

My Fundraising Webpage: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/pfchangs09/ayates

No comments: